Monday, August 31, 2009

Tuna Salad I Like



I'm not really into tuna sandwiches. I especially hate those that are sold in canteens where there's more pickles than fish. But I like tuna, and I like bread, so I see no reason why I wouldn't want tuna salad sandwich. Turns out, I had to prepare it myself. I'm living in a house with a limited kitchen and I have time that I prefer to spend earning money or relaxing, so I assure you this is simpler that cooking rice in a rice cooker.

Here's my recipe (really siiiiimple):



Ingredients

2 cans tuna
-I use Century, only because it's the most accessible. But "imported" tuna (which really comes from the Philippines most times) is better. Get the ones in brine.

1 pack store-bought mayonnaise
-In post later on, I'll give you the recipe for my Mom's homemade mayo

1/2 cup celery, chopped

1/4 cup carrots, chopped

1-2 Tbsp white onion, finely chopped (unless Allan specifies, I don't like to put it)

2 small packs (baon packs) of cheese, grated

1 small lettuce head

Procedure:

Combine all ingredients. Mash the tuna if you want it finer. It should look pretty chunky. Layer on bread. If you want to make an openfaced sandwich, layer on the filling, then top with more cheese and grill in an oven until it melts. You have tuna cheese melt!

Serve with lettuce (like on the picture up top) or if you made the tuna cheese melt, serve it with the lettuce on the side as a salad with a simple vinaigrette of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Or you can just serve the lettuce on the side as is. Allan likes to neutralize the rich tuna taste with the mellow lettuce crunch.

Busog!

No comments:

Post a Comment