Monday, July 27, 2009

Old Loves



I kinda grew up listening to the songs of my parents. They were young, and not so ready to give up the music of their generation so instead of letting me listen to supposedly "intelligent" music like Beethoven and Batibot or the more "society" songs in Sesame Street (we had no TV, so...), I was nodding my head to Sting, U2, Annie Lennox, Queen, Eurythmics and a tiny bit of Earth, Wind and Fire (Do you remember, the 21st night of September..?)

I have all their songs right now in my MP3 and in my online playlists, they are also mainstays. It makes me laugh when other people think that I'm old-school. I'm like: What the pineapple?! These are bloody cool songs! Far better than the noisy whatever-kind-of-rock-music you listen to these days and far more fun and romantic (like Sting's Fields of Gold) than the sappy, overly sentimental lyrics of today. There's is no poetry, no art, in today's music. It's all storytelling, sometimes nice, sometimes overly senseless and boring like:

I've been spending way too long checking my tongue in the mirror
And bending over backwards just to try to see it clearer
But my breath fogged up the glass
And so I drew a new face and laughed

I mean, huh? Where's the art there? And people in love all over the world love this song because of the "I'm yours, I'm yours" thing. Oooooh, boy. I won't even comment.

I accept the "to each his own" excuse. That I cannot argue with taste. And I'm not trying to. But I think that people should expand their own views and try to dabble at different stuff before settling down with just one thing. I like Lady Gaga by the way, absolutely luuuurve her. But not in the same way as I love those musicians I mentioned. Gaga is amusing and her music is mindless and energetic, and not drippingly dull.

No comments:

Post a Comment