Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Best Cup Noodles are Fresh



I don't usually go for cup noodles. They're just atrocious and the sodium in them is enough to kill you. Well, yeah, exaggeration, but you get what I mean.

As a youngster, my mother never got me into the noodles habit, even if we were poor. We eat Maggi with egg and dilis only when we feel like it, and that's like, every three months. But that doesn't mean that we don't eat mami-style noodles at all. A lot of times, my mom would buy ten pesos worth of those fresh egg noodles (remember those wrapped in plastic, oily and tied with a rubber band?), a small cabbage and carrots and cook that with broth, or saute it with soy sauce. It's also just as cheap, but far more hearty and delicious.

With that taste formed, I always believe in the power of fresh noodles. Imagine that! The Power of Fresh Noodles! One of these days, I'll share some of my recipes with you. I haven't made any noodle dishes as of late so I have no pictures, but soon, my friends, soon...Naks.

Anyway, the point of this entry is two-pronged: noodles are best when fresh and I found Korean cup noodles named "Fresh Noodles" that have, literally, fresh noodles. Koreans are so blunt about their labelling, yes? "Fresh Noodles" for fresh noodles and "Bowl Noodles" for noodles in a bowl. How creative, right?

Here's what the noodles look like...they were wrapped in plastic inside the bowl.



Close up:



Thin noodles. But fresh!



The broth seasoning is seafood flavored. It tastes like crab and fish, nori and all the good umami stuff. Plus the dried veggies. For some reason, once I put hot water into it, the veggies rehydrated and tasted pretty fresh.

And it looks like this with hot water in it. In hindsight, I should have added hotter water.



It's pricey (Php120) in the Korean grocery nearby. But it's good!

No comments:

Post a Comment