Saturday, December 12, 2009

Ginataan Mais



One thing that differentiates my tastes to Allan's? Love for gata. I love gata. I love to add it to a plain veggie sautee or in Champorado and in this case, Ginataan Mais. This is not a big hit for Allan. But well, that only means more for me. Haha

In Zamboanga, I would make this with native white corn. It contains more starch and will definitely give a thicker soup later on. However, I cannot seem to find white corn here, so instead of using yellow corn which has lesser corn milk (which has starch) I tried creamed corn.

My recipe for Ginataan Mais: 1/2-1 cup malagkit rice, 2 cups water, 1 can creamed corn, 2 cups coconut milk and sugar. First, cook the rice with the water to make a really thick porridge. When that's done, add the coconut milk and the creamed corn. Cook this over low heat until the corn becomes really well incorporated into the rice porridge. Add sugar to taste. You wouldn't need much because the coconut milk is already sweet and so is the corn. Serve hot.

Tip: If you do find white corn, use 2-3 cups of that and you may omit the rice because it will be starchy enough. But if you want to add rice as an extender perhaps, it'll work just as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment